Statistically, a poor hiring choice or the promotion of good employee into the wrong position will result in unforeseen training costs and high turnover rates. Competency-based hiring identifies the core competencies required for a candidate's success and the subsequent evaluation of their competencies found in their past experiences.
An individual's core competencies are determined by two groups of factors: Skills, knowledge, and technical qualifications; and
Behavioral characteristics, personality attributes, and individual aptitudes.
Traditionally, hiring has usually focused on evaluating a job candidate's skills and technical qualifications. However, the competency-based approach also includes an analysis of the candidate's behavioral characteristics.
The benefits of job matching include:
- Minimizing hiring mistakes,
- Identifying strengths and limitations of candidates,
- Targeting developmental needs,
- Improving an employee's job satisfaction and productivity, and
- Reducing conflict and absenteeism.